We recommend changing the Office 365 channel that you are on to reduce the effects of the most recent updates to Office applications.
By changing your Office 365 to operate on a "Semi-Annual" channel you will ensure that changes are delivered slower to your Office applications. This delayed delivery of updates ensures that there is a greater time for Office update related issues to be resolved before they reach your machine.
To switch to the semi annual channel you need to:
- Close any open Office applications that are running.
- Download the installer from:
- Run the downloaded installer (this will change two registry keys as detailed below).
- Now launch an office application (Word, Excel, Outlook etc).
- Open the File menu from the Office ribbon bar.
- Navigate to "Account" > "Update Options" > "Update Now".
When the "Update" is complete your Office Applications should be changed to the Semi Annual channel.
For Information only:
The installer will change the values of the "UpdateChannel", "UnmanagedUpdateUrl" and "CDNBaseUrl" string values in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\Configuration" so that they point to the semi annual channel.
More information on the changes can be found here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/office-365-blog/how-to-manage-office-365-proplus-channels-for-it-pros/ba-p/795813